Construction begun on airport roadways
Construction began Tuesday on the second phase of a project that will repair the two-tier roadway system. Phase One began in September and stopped in November.
The remainder of the project is expected to be concluded by August, according to Douglas Hartmayer, director of public affairs for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority.
“They did the preliminary work last fall, and worked for as long as they could until the weather got too bad,” he said. “This is a re-initiation of the project.”
Work on the upper roadway will consist of milling the deck surface, joint repairs, curb replacements, paving, striping and sidewalk repairs. On the lower deck, steel beams will be installed to the upper deck. There will also be roadway milling and overlay improvements, as well as repairs to structural columns and concrete.
During construction, traffic will be restricted to one lane on both tiers from 1 to 8 a.m. each day.
“These structural improvements are an investment that ensures the successful operation of the terminal’s infrastructure for many years to come and provides for the safety of our customers,” said Kimberley Minkel, NFTA executive director.
The project costs $1.4 million, but 75 percent of that will be covered by a federal Department of Transportation grant. The NFTA and state DOT will split the remaining 25 percent.
Message boards have been installed along both roadways to direct traffic. In addition, the airport’s radio system (1580 AM) will provide construction and parking updates. The signal is strongest within a 3-mile radius of the airport. More communication will be provided as needed on www.buffaloairport.com.
The NFTA is also advising all people coming to pick up passengers to use the Cell Phone Lot on Holtz Drive. They can wait in their vehicles there until they receive a call that the passenger has his or her luggage and is ready to be picked up.