Weekly Feature



2017-09-07 / Front Page

Tuesday morning fire rips through Genesee Street apartment


U-Crest firefighters assess damage from a Tuesday morning fire on Genesee Street that ripped through a second-floor apartment. Firefighters from eight departments responded to the blaze. 
Photo by Bryan Jackson U-Crest firefighters assess damage from a Tuesday morning fire on Genesee Street that ripped through a second-floor apartment. Firefighters from eight departments responded to the blaze. Photo by Bryan Jackson Firefighters from eight area companies battled a Tuesday morning blaze at 3339 Genesee Street that temporarily shut down a stretch of the east-west thoroughfare.

According to U-Crest District Fire Chief Brian Chapman, the call came in around 8:20 a.m. for a fire in a building whose first floor is a garage and second floor is apartment space.

Two people and several animals were in the apartment when the fire started but made it out safely. However, two cats did not survive the fire, Chapman said.

Investigators are leaning toward a candle as the culprit, after interviews with the residents, although Chapman cautioned that the investigation is still in its preliminary stages.

What is known is that damage to the building was extensive.

“The whole second floor is pretty much gone,” Chapman said.

“The first floor is going to be mostly water damage. They have a concrete floor, so all that water is just sitting there on the second floor.”

New Creation Fellowship Academy, located at 3325 Genesee St. provided shelter to the victims, as well as a place for the American Red Cross to conduct its assessment and give the victims assistance, Principal Michael Ward wrote in an email.

New Creation Fellowship Church was able to supply shoes, clothing and luggage to the victims through their Head to Toe Buffalo clothing outreach, Ward added.

NCF will continue to support the victims as they recover from the fire, Ward wrote in the email.

In addition to U-Crest, firefighters from Rescue Volunteer Hose Co. No. 1, Pine Hill Fire Department, Cleveland Hill Fire Department, Forks Fire Department South Line Fire Company, Hy-View Fire Company and Depew Fire Department responded.

Return to top